Monday 1 April 2013

Archbishops and Samaritans

Well here we are: Friday morning and we are through security despite my 'see through bag' not being see through enough, sitting in the departure lounge waiting to board. This moment of calm gives me a chance to reflect on the remarkable journey from College to Airport.

I left Durham two days ago and drove, via an overnight stop to Canterbury to attend Justin Welby's enthronement as 105th Archbishop of Canterbury. This was a wonderful and moving occasion, with representatives from around the world and ecclesiastical bling that ranged from the sublime to the extraordinary. It was fantastic to see the range of prayerful support gathered from around the Communion and beyond, and something of a lovely surprise to turn round over the ensuing bunfight and find myself in conversation with Rick Warren about parenting teenagers. Archbishop Justin will need our prayers as he faces all that lies ahead.

Driving back to my overnight stop we pulled in for fuel and noticed a large car with a very flat tyre arriving behind us. The driver turned out to be a widow who 'thought the car was making a funny noise'. There are times when wearing a clerical collar rather commits you to act, so I changed her tyre and was then embarrassed as she demanded I 'took a small gift for my church'. Samaritans, even of the only-erratically-good variety are not supposed to be paid for it.

All in all, then a day of great joy and privilege in preparation for this trip. I shall take the gift and give it to the Church in Uganda, just a small symbol of the way The Lord weaves blessing down entirely unforeseen paths. He is good and His goodness lasts forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment